Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Today is the Day…

And I guess I’m ok with that. Maybe.

After 14 days straight, with no day off,  of multisport training, I must rest today. My body is tired. I am sore and beat. I couldn’t even get comfortable last night. Yesterday I ran 4 miles with 9 min/mile pace then headed to the pool. I increased my swim intensity and completed 16 x 50 yd repeats with 10 seconds rest between. It was hard. Today’s plan called for 7 x 400’s @ 5k pace. I don’t really want to skip this workout all together, I know the benefits of speed work and the impact it has on my overall race day performance. I have a few options. I can do it tomorrow before my 25 mile indoor bike ride (instead of the planned 3 m pace run) or I can do it Friday with my easy 1000 yd swim. I’ll see how the rest of the week works out. But today I rest. I might go for a walk. That’s still resting. Right?

Last night I read the first chapter of the Triathlete’s Training Bible. Maybe that is what inspired me to take a day off.  I was able to identify my training philosophy and the book clearly stated that my philosophy can lead to burn out (Duh….), injury (double Duh….), breakdown due to illness (well color my purple and tickle me pink….). So with all the Duh’s happening I realized I should be training smarter, not harder. “By adopting a philosophy that is more moderate, such problems are avoided and racing performance improves.” Sold. Rest day it is.

What is your training philosophy? I think mine changes throughout the year and depends on the race scheduled.

I am really looking forward to getting into the Nitty Gritty of this book. Self-coaching is difficult, yet I have been doing it for three years and I believe I have been doing a pretty darn good job of it. This time around is different though. I am working my way through three sports, two of them completely unknown racing territory. The challenge is exciting!

Many dedicated endurance athletes don’t need to be told what to do-they need to be told what not to do –Scott Tinley, Pro Triathlete

What do you KNOW you need to be told not to do??? And I know you know, we all know…we just have a hard time listening to ourselves. Or am I the only one?

And for Radom photo #1, because I love him and think he the coolest kid ever: 5 1/2 year old LB in his 3T Spidy costume with Spidy baseball cap, Spidy slippers, gloves, and water gun. He is ready to fight the bad guys.

image

Random photo #2: I need new glasses. I love LOVE these frames and have been too cheap busy to go to the stinking store to order new ones…I highly doubt my clients take me seriously when I sit across from them wearing these beauties. “Um hm….yes.  I see. uh hu.. Go on….yes. How does that make you feel?”

image

What are you too cheap to buy these days? With two ridiculous race entry fees paid, a new bike, a trainer  and still more stuff needed, some things fall on the way side. Unfortunately for me it is glasses.

20 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people constantly dishing out the advice on how important rest/recovery is... and then I forget to take my own advice.

    Enjoy the rest day - I know your body will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I need to listen to my body more and take rest days without guilt. Enjoy your rest day! Oh and I so need new glasses too...like new script and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not do rest days very well. Even though my body does like them. I always end up taking the dogs for a looooong walk. And yes that is resting. My philosophy changes weekly. I think I read to much. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am too cheap for most everything, but then like all of us runners/triathletes race fees seem just a price we pay to do what we love. I shelled out a ton for Rock and Roll San Diego. Once I picked my jaw up off the floor I simply shrugged my shoulders, entered my card # and went on with my day....but on the flip side I only buy mayo and bread when it is buy one get one free at our supermarket chain! Congrats on the amazing training. You are doing awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest days are smart!! I thought I was really good about paying attention to the pain, backing off when needed and then bam, I wound up injured. Not so good at it, clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only been buying new clothes at the Goodwill. One of these days I'm going to have to buy actual new clothes.

    I think it's good you are taking a rest day. My philosophy has changed this year: smarter not harder. I'm switching up running and walking and incorporating strength.

    Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a used Tahoe like four months ago and still haven't registered it because I know when I do I'll have to fork over the $ for sales tax.

    Why bother with such legalities when there are running shoes to be bought?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should really take a rest day too. Today was my 14th day in a row of running. yes, some days I only ran 3 miles or so... but still, it adds up. My legs are tired.

    I'm running another 5km this weekend for fun. Remember those Lakewood police officers gunned down in Fall 2009 in the coffee shop? Well, the woman (Tina) was a runner I guess. her family and police department are putting together a run called Run For Tina and the money is going towards scholarships for students seeking employment or education in the law enforcement field. So yes, I'll be at Fort Steilacoom Park on Ssturday doing it as a fun run! too bad you weren't here :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all I am legitemetly mad at the supplement guy. Can I please have his name and the address of the store. I am going to go pound him. I really am furious....like I am shaking I am so mad. GIRL, YOU ARE THE TINIEST, STRONGEST, MOST BEAUTIFUL PERSON!!! He was probably high or something. Boo. I am mad.
    Okay, sorry for my rant but good for you to take a day off. Really, it is so hard but in the long run you will be so much better off. You have been kicking trash and doing so much that your body is screaming for a day off. I LOVED that quote...so true, we only need to hear what we shouldn't do, otherwise we would want to do a marathon every day ha! I want to read your training bible. I LOVE your glasses and you have the cutest little boy ever. Love ya girl and I think you are the bomb. Sorry for the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to say that I love your reading your blog! and I totally agree that us athletes just dont know how to take time off. Others may think we are crazy, but I suppose its better to love and be addicted to something so healthy and fulfilling than to despise working out like so many other people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your rest! I wish I had to force myself to take a rest day, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so awesome.

    love the photos.

    YAY for a rest day!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl- take a day off!!! and be happy about it!! I am too cheap to buy new running mittens. I left mine at a race and was super bummed, so now I just wear my husband's that are WAAAAAY too big.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on taking a day off and listening to your body. Your training regime is making me feel like a lazy fat @$$!! :) You are killing your goals--nice work!!!

    I refuse to spend a lot on clothes...Goodwill and Ross work jsut fine most of the time.

    You still look "Naughty Librarian" hot in your glasses even if you can't read with them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you enjoyed your rest day! You deserved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. self-coaching is great. One has to learn so much all the time.

    Nate Jenkins (has a blog @ Running Times) self-coached himself to a 2:14 marathon. Not too shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am going to have to check this book out soon!

    And I agree on it being difficult to take rest days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes...I need a break from reading about all your work outs! Glad you are taking a REST even thought I know it will be short lived. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rest is just part of the natural cycle. Good choice to take it easy today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. New(er) follower, first time poster :)

    Rest days are tough to accept if you find yourself on any kind of training streak or riding the wave of euphoria a strong cycle can bring. Kudos for putting your foot down...or is that your feet up?

    As for cheapness (I prefer being "thrifty")...I buy dollar store hats and mittens and last year's (or two years ago) running shoes from the local outlets. I will however pay full price for premium compression shorts...cheap skivvies...UGH!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails