Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy National Running Day!

Did you run today?

image

Get your Badge HERE…today only!

I had grand plans of 9, count them NINE 400’s at a 5k pace. Yeah, um I tried. It was so hot and humid I couldn’t breath. I ended up with 6x400’s @ much faster than a 5k pace with a recovery lap between. All said and done with the warm up and cool down I hit 4 miles. I’m ok with that. I need to save my legs any way for Friday mornings Army 10 miler.  I’m excited to be working on some speed. I have no idea where I stand pace-wise anymore. I am all over the place with my times. I am thinking it is this crazy weather BUT the weather isn’t going anywhere so this is how my running is now. I have to accept that.

After my run I hit the pool for a swim.  I met a lady who is running a new Master’s Swim program that meets from 11-1 daily!! Score!! Only I have been offered two different full time jobs which will drastically change my workout routine…11-1 swims will be out of the question, as will mid day runs and workouts. Soon I will be begging you all for tips on juggling full-time employment, running, family and fun. Seems impossible!! But I know many of you all do it every single day and MY HAT’S OFF TO YOU because it is seeming ominous and impossible right now.

I ran twice while on the Beach Vacation! I am quite proud of myself! I was actually excited to get up at 6:30 and hit the road by the beach!  Saturday I got up and out the door excited for my 10 miler. I made it 8 miles. It was so hot and humid. I sound like a broken record. I was running by 6:40 and it just got worse and worse…the air was so thick I had to karate chop my way through it.

Here is a surfer dude hitting the gnarly waves as I was heading out…

image

Self-time pic of me before my run…

image

I made a small jaunt off the road and found this cute path along the beach. It was amazing to run along the beach and to just take in the beauty!

image

But, alas all good things must come to an end. The trail suddenly turned into sand and I knew I was not about to go sand-running at that point.  I turned around and decided that was a good point to head back.

image

I ran out of water at about mile 5. I stopped to put my face in a sprinkler just as an ambulance was driving by. I saw them as they laughed at me. I thought, Go ahead and laugh…you’ll be back for me in 10 min. Who will have the last laugh then…huh? I made my way back, taking in all the beautiful beach houses and their fun colors. Even though I was hot and suffocating it was so awesome to have new scenery!

I ran into J-Ninja who was heading out for her morning run and turned to run with her for literally 2 minutes before I knew I had to turn back around and head to the house.  Once I got the the house I headed to the back yard, to the pool…I kicked off my shoes (because they are still new), took off my Garmin and tossed my iPod to the side and just walked right into the pool…It felt so good!

image

image

If you look closely LB is in the right hand corner, swimming already. That kid knows how to live it up on vacation! The Hubs was up and waiting for me to get back so he could go for a ride on his new tri bike.  So we traded lifeguard duty, which was fun with me. I stayed in the pool for about 30 min just cooling off.

Sunday morning I decided to go three miles. About a half mile into that hot and muggy run I got calf cramps in both legs. I thought about turning around and walking home but did some stretching and funny walking then started running again. I’ve never really gotten cramps like that before. It was strange and painful to say the least.

Tomorrow I have an easy swim and yoga on the agenda so that I can be prepared for Friday’s race.  How about you!? What is on your agenda for the day and any races coming up?

Did you run today in celebration of National Running Day????

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to enter my Saucony Shoe Giveaway HERE!! It’s not too late!!

16 comments:

  1. Running is so hard in the heat! Good for you for getting in your runs on vacation. I don't have kids but juggling running, teaching and grad school means getting in those runs early in the morning! I am tapering for my 50K so I just did the elliptical but I'll be celebrating hardcore on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, new follower here! I love what I've read so far. Those beach photos are phenomenal - good for you for running while on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is NOTHING I love more than walking straight into the pool after a run! If we had a poo, I would keep it so cold!! Awesome job putting in some good miles on vacation!

    I am sooo not ready for this heat & humidity, and I know ours is only a fraction as brutal as yours. Coach is always telling me to focus on the effort NOT the pace, because pace will inevitably slow in this weather. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy National Running Day! Great job on those 400s! It hasn't been hot or humid here at all - until this week and I'm running a marathon this weekend. The weather is making me nervous about my performance.

    Congratulations on the job offers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! I ran today! And in celebration, I ran without my garmin, ran just for the love of running, not for time or splits or pace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran, bought new shoes, and pushed it pretty hard. I only saw two others out. We'll all have to circulate the memo better next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran today. I wish I had been running by the beach or been able to hop right into a pool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ran today too! 4 hilly miles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you on the hot and humid part! I did run today in 90+ degree weather. You know you really love running when you're willing to melt in the smothering humid heat for it! I've been taking a little break from running, so I'm glad I happened to go for a run on National Running Day! I didn't realize it until I had gotten home from my run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can totally juggle it all. You know that weird phenomenon where the less time you have, the more you can get done? You're gonna be all over that.

    Sounds like your vacation was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was super hot here yesterday too. Today is cooler. Congrats on two jobs!! How exciting! Hopefully one comes to me sometime soon as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love running when on vacation because it is nice to get away from the normal roads you see everyday! Awesome runs you got it in and it must ahve been nice to get in the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ran! I was supposed to do speedwork but after the world's hottest half on Sunday and a 2 hour massage on Tuesday night, I opted for 4 easy miles. That means my speedwork is today.

    Yay for awesome beach vacations and great job running twice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pics!!! I didn't run yesterday but I am today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love jumping in pools/lakes in all running clothes after a hot and sweaty run - nothing feels better!

    I celebrated National Running Day with a 5M trail run. It was one of my first trail runs and I had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Felt like I could have written this blog today too, lol! I cramped up really bad on my run tonight.. I went from running 10-minute miles two weeks ago to barely under 14-minute miles tonight because they were so tight. :( Yoga's on the agenda for me tomorrow too.. 5K on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails