Wednesday, June 8, 2011

10!

10 is the number of 400 repeats I did today!

Although I didn't see his comment until AFTER my run, I feel like I should say THANK YOU to Mr. Running Man Wannabe for his light kick in the behind regarding all my whining as of late….So Andrew, there you go: Thanks. BUT, guess what? I’m still gonna whine. And yes, I would like some cheese please!

image

Sarah and I decided to meet at 9 AM despite the heat advisory and the High Ozone Alert. Right now (as I write this) we are sitting at 99 degrees. Someone tell me when I actually moved to the SUN? Anyway, how do you prepare for an hour of speed work at the track when you know it is going to be unbearably hot?

image

With a frozen water bottle, two water bottles with ice water, an empty shaker with protein powder waiting for water for after the run, and a bottle with frozen AMP in it. I learned that if I put my performance drink in the freezer the night before it is perfect for the morning workout! By the time I am ready to drink some it has melted just enough. And it slowly melts but stays refreshingly cool! SCORE!

I had 10x400 repeats on the plan for last week but I quit after 6. I was hot and felt like I couldn’t breath. Today, when I met Sarah at the track I told her I wanted to do 10, but would be happy with at least 7.  I got started and quickly lost count. With my Garmin set to Interval training I don’t really have to keep track, it tells me when to go fast and when to slow down and best of all it tells me when I am DONE. With my recovery laps I jogged mostly but I was not too proud to walk. It’s just not smart to over do it in those high temps.

I also re-evaluated my “5k race pace”. The plan says to run 10x 400 at a 5k pace. I generally run these at what I wish my 5k pace is, anywhere from a 6 min/mile to 7 min/mile pace. Today I tried to bring the pace up mainly so that I could complete all 10 repeats. It worked. My fasted lap was my first and 1:41 (or 6:45 min/mile pace) my slowest fast was repeat #6 at 1:57 (or 7:49 min/mile pace). I would be thrilled with a 5k at a 7:49 min/mile pace.

I am hoping my last ditch effort with speed work will make a difference come June 25 when I toe the line to Rock N Roll Seattle because apparently, when I registered for this race months ago I had HIGH hopes for a serious 4 min PR! I got my confirmation sheet today and this is what slapped me in the face: Predicted Finish Time: 1:51. Uhhhh…..ok? I guess I’ll be racing!! I’m actually kind of excited for my first ambulance ride! Who’s with me?

image

Anyone else in corral 7?

Here I am, in my I Just Completed My Speed Workout pose:

image

After the speed work I skipped my swim workout. There was no way I could do it…Tomorrow though is a bike ride and I wont skip my swim.

19 comments:

  1. Look how tan you are!!!!!! Jealous. So the high today at Fort Lewis was a blistering 59 degrees. Can I get a tan with that kind of weather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH GIRL! You did it. It's my turn next! I WILL get my 400 redemption!

    99 degrees? I think I just died.

    Those water bottles look sooo refreshing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't imagine doing 400 repeats in that kind of heat. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! I love cheese.

    I'm in 18. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great intervals... and the heat?! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ that guys comment!

    Great job! It was blazing hot today for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I love the lineup of water bottles! It's crazy that you did that in such ridiculous heat! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so tan! I would love some warm weather about now. We jumped for joy when it nearly got to 70.
    I am in corral 5-predicated a 1:50 finish. Um yeah, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here in Portland...still not summer! Or I might have some color to me other than the pale pasty white that I am! 10 400's...wooo wee...And good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to rock it girl!!! I know others have commented before but nice tan!!!

    Andrew has commented on my blog before and I can never tell the tone of them. Way to let it motivate you! I love wine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. woot woot way to rock it!! I think 8 400's with some 800's is my biggest track workout. I'm going to start aiming for 800's and 1600's in the next week..heaven help me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on your 400s! I had to do speed work last night, I used your post as inspiration :) I figured if you are doing it in 90-something temps, I can't complain about doing it when its in the 70s here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always want to crap out at like 7.5 of 400 repeats... You look so strong and fit in that pic at the end. Looks likes you're ready to kick butt and take names!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, if you can do 10x400 repeats then you can whine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm running the Seattle RNR half and have a similar goal time (sub 2 hour), which is pretty ambitious. I'm feeling like I prepared as much as I could/can, but I'm still nervous. I'll really be pushing myself and I hope you do too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok when I read this earlier I thought dang Amanda has gotten tan! I'd bring some layers for your race up here or goodwill because it hasn't been warm only one day.
    so last week I did a 10 mile bike ride, walk, jogged a hill by house and third day could barely ride 3 miles .. Lots of fatigue in my legs any ideas to help with fatigue!
    Miss you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I registered for 1:43...hmmmm!!

    I will pace you, we will rock, I will move back from 3 to 7, although the view of the kenyans is pretty good from 3 :)

    GOOD WORK!! I bet coming HOME will feel so good and so COLD! 12 days or something? What days will you bunk with me? Text me!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you know that you can create short links with BCVC and receive cash for every visit to your short links.

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails