Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Worthwhile=Not Always EASY.

So if the Early Bird gets the worm, what does the Early Runner get?

About that habit thing I posted about yesterday….How many days or repeats does it take to make a habit?

You see, getting up EARLY to run is not just a schedule adjustment but a lifestyle change. I used to be in bed by 10 at the latest. But lately I’ve been staying up a bit later. Doing what, I don’t exactly know. But staying up nonetheless. So in order to get up and have a quality run I need to go to bed earlier which cuts in to my QT with the Hubs. When you have a wild, talkative banshee living with you (namely LB) you take the quiet, down time when you can.  For us that starts after 9 PM. Last night we sat on the back porch watching a lightening storm and just talking until 12:30. There is no way I would trade that for an AM run.  These are the things we have missed out during years of  TDY and deployments.

I’m thinking maybe 2-3 times a week an early morning run might work out.  But it’s going to be hard, and this reminds me: Most worthwhile things aren’t easy.

I’m happy to know I am not alone in this. Here are few comments that made me giggle, made me feel better, and gave me insight.

*I tried to match the font color with their picture…I’m THAT awesome.

Kovas: 

image

Jill

image

Tink---and she lives in T-Town!!! And is stealing my running buddies and tromping my running ground….Ok, but I’m not mad, just jealous.

image

PamThank you for sharing, seriously. Our poor husbands… P.S. if you’re in the market for a sweet, sexy hot rod car she (or husband) is selling their Corvette! Maybe it is because of her hot hair day, he’s upgrading to a…uh…what is an upgrade to a Vette? I have no clue here…but check it out if you want.

image

Thank you all for helping me out with this whole AM run thing. I think after this weekend I will certainly try to start making it a habit (key word here: try). With the summer heat and humidity fast approaching I know it will be my only choice, plus I am searching for a full-time job. So that leaves me with early runs and lunch cross-training. It will work it’s way out. Wont it?

Lastly, what have I done to deserve this?

image

Really? I mean the temps for Saturday are good, but rain? Lightening? Why? Why meeee!??  I am terrified to ride in the rain. I haven’t trained in the rain at all. I have already began searching for 70.3 races in case Saturday is cancelled. And many of you asked about refunds or what not for those last weekend when the swim was cancelled. I think not. I’m not certain but I am pretty sure there is a disclosure when you register about weather and stuff. One time (at band camp…) a 12k I was registered for was cancelled. I rolled my registration over and did it the following year. That was fine. But THIS? THIS??? I am not rolling this over to next year. I am going to find one to do as soon as I can. I found a list of upcoming 70.3’s HERE. Can you say Austria? Hawaii? Italy? Vienna?  Yeah, me too. I can say all of those with no problemo….doesn’t mean I can register and fly my broke self (and bike) across the world to doggy paddle, Flintstone peddle and shuffle my way through a 70.3. So if you hear of any small, local Half Iron races do send me the link!

"We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort."
--Jesse Owens

I am ready for Saturday. PLEASE LET THE WEATHER HOLD OUT.

22 comments:

  1. Sending you good weather vibes for Satuarday. How was the interview?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had 40% chance of rain last Saturday too and it didn't rain until after 3PM. I think you'll be good!

    If anything, if it holds off and rains only during the run, you can think of it as Nature's way of helping cool you off! That's what I came up with last year during one of my Oly's that it rained the entire day for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I hope the weather takes a huge turn for you!!!

    I don't blame you for wanting to stay up late connecting with your hubs! I am a early runner at 5am and I go between doing it every morning to three mornings a week and getting in a few afternoons! As a girl with frizzy/curly hair...I understand the good hair day comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily it's Wednesday and it's a 40% chance! So that means it could change to like a 20% chance by Friday!

    Sometimes they turn those things into duathlons instead. You will be fine whatever happens and GOOD luck.

    Biggest mistake I made-not having salt tabs (bc it was like 95 degrees) and not hydrating enough on the bike. By the time I got to the run, my calves were cramping baseballs.

    Hope this helps =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. quality time is sooooo important!! Glad you had a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Keep it up. You're right, the worthwhile things are usually the hardest...at first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think waking up early 2-3 days a week is harder than 5 days a week. I would rather be up early every day or not at all, but thats just me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Good luck this weekend! I'm sure you are going to rock...and hopefully the weather stays good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like running in the mornings once or twice a week. They are usually shorter though so I can get in the shower by 6AM. hey- my husband's family lives in Fayetteville, NC. Just thought was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quote - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think 2 -3 days a week is great! Choosing the t-storm Q time was waaay more important than an a.m. run that time feed you, just in a different way.

    I love Pam's comment because I have done that too. I know my hubbs gets tired of pig tails and pony tails.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been told it takes 21 days to change a habit. I sur hope the weather gets better for you. With kids it hard to get quality time with the hubby. GOOD FOR YOU ON GETTING SOME QUALITY TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're already going to be wet from the swim, so I'm just going to pray there's no lightning.
    If you decide on Vienna, I can hook you up. My family lives there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoping that the weather reports are wrong and it holds off.

    I do my running in the morning. On weekends, if I am not out of the door by 9:00 - it isn't going to happen, except on rare occasions. I love to get my run in while most people are still asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Thanks for the shout out! haha

    I PRAY that your weather situation clears up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm what have you done to deserve this?

    You're right. There's no way you deserve a free app from Walgreens to tell you when toothpaste is on sale. No way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate am runs. I have thought about iced coffee in my water bottle.
    I do them when I have to but try to convince my hubby to put the baby to bed and get a half hour run in at 8 pm instead

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to form a new habit.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my favorite quotes, 'I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to worth it'.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The weather for my first 70.3 (this weekend in Orlando - 70.3 Florida) is nearly identical (rain, lightning, highs and lows). I feel for you!

    Kevin
    HalfTRIing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Get the eff out of here with those t-storms!! I hope everything goes off without a hitch!

    Your reasoning for balancing running in the a.m./p.m. makes sense...time with your hubs after the sacrifices you as a military wife make, means everything.

    If you can find a way to get a run in, then you've made it!!

    GOOD LUCK! First 70.3 sig pose on its way!!!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails