Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I’m Going to Tri Camp!

I feel like a High Schooler getting ready for basketball camp, only not really….I’m 32 and going to the beach house for the weekend with my family and bringing my Garmin, Saucony running shoes, Tri bike, Speedo racing suit, swim cap, goggles and GU. Sounds like TRI CAMP to me!!! Woooooo Whoooooo!

I. CAN’T. WAIT.

Obviously it is vacation so what in the world has happened to me that I have come to the point where a vacation on the beach includes all my favorite workout gear? I can’t wait for my 10 miler in a beach town, to wake up and have an early morning swim in salty water,  I am excited to explore on my bike? Is this a vacation? You bet your boots it is!!

It is glorious!

This morning I got around as early as I could and headed to the track to meet Sarah (she’s coming to do Seattle RnR 1/2 too!!). I had speed work on the plan. I have been slacking in the speed work department big time so it is time I stop slacking and pick up the pace. I have about a month before Rock n Roll Seattle and I think that is enough time to build some speed. I got to the track and it was H.O.T. Hotter than a mug. Smokin’ hot. Humid. Not good…and it was only 9:30 AM. I did my warm up lap and started in on my 6x400’s @ 5k pace (or faster) with a recovery lap between. It was rough but I had no choice but to complete the workout.

Below are my splits. As you can see the fast ones are much faster than my 5k pace. I wish I could run a 5k at a 6:52 pace or even a 7:18 pace!! I’d like to take a training cycle and start training for a 5k race distance and work on speed but there are so many races on the schedule…so many that I want to do and I just can’t fit in a 5k training plan. At least not right now.

image

After the run we were melting and I was stoked to be heading to the pool! As you can see I had a rough workout…

image

no comments from the peanut gallery about my diving form…

The pool is pretty much empty. For now. It is not officially opened until the 28th but for some reason they are open now and I was privy to the info! Lap swim the last couple of weeks has been awesome!! Today’s swim was 1100 yards (350 warm up/10x25/4x50/1x100/200 cool down). I ended the workout with a celebratory dive into the pool! I love summer. Did I mention that yet? This was the temp reading on my way home from work:

image

I know I complain about the heat a lot but I have missed the summer weather! This is one thing I really missed while living in the PNW-hot summers. That is what summer is supposed to be! I just have to tweak my schedule so I don’t die of heat exhaust (and that is no joke)! Anyone else implementing summer run schedules yet?

Well just to show you how much I love summer I’ve got an awesome giveaway I’ll be unveiling in the morning!! You wont want to miss it!! Make sure you check back tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. oh yeah!!! im a running vampire now, do not run in the light of day! are you going to the OBX? im so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in eastern NC, near Goldsboro, so I know all about that humidity clamping down! I live in northern Virginia now, so it isn't a whole lot better, but there seems to be more of a breeze off the mountains here in the mornings. I was up and running by 6:30 this morning and was absolutely soaked within 20 minutes! I'd still rather deal with heat than running in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ran/swam through that same humidity on my run this morning. We jumped right from Spring to Sauna. Sounds like a great trip. Interesting that vacations can now be viewed as a chance to do workouts without work getting in the way. What happened to the days of lounging on the beach and eating like my life depended on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to Tri camp this weekend too!!! Same thing as you. Kinda. I have a place up in NH, there's a bike path I'll be testing out. It's only 3 miles long, but I figure a few back and forths should be good. If not, I'll trek around the town on my bike and give myself a tour. And I'll have the chance to swim in the lake. I've even mapped out my upcoming tri course to test out in open water. Of course it will only be about 60-70 degrees this weekend in NH with a water temp of 53. So that should be fun.

    We shall both have fun Tri camp weekends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm moving from central IL to western TX this summer.. I will let you know about my running schedule when we get there... HA! I'm sure I'll be running either very early or very late in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy the hot summers too. PERFECT for laying out and drinking cold beer. However, I am NOT fond of running during the summer. But I can handle sweating it out for a few months. The perks of a hot summer outweigh the drawbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that is hot!

    I need to run track repeats like yours... definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have come to really like speed workouts. Plus, they pay off fairly quickly if you stick to 'em. I also wish I could run a 5k at 7:15... one day...one day..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll trade ya! It's 41, cold and rainy here!

    Great workouts! You are already back at it!! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for camp! It sounds wicked fun! Ok, I shouldn't say things like wicked, it just sounds weird! Have fun and don't melt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE hot summers too!!!!! Enjoy camp!! Lol

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails