Thursday, May 12, 2011

I Can Now Fix a Flat!

Less than 48 hours….if the weather cooperates.

image

Thank goodness I learned how to fix a flat tire. That is a relief, of sorts…

J-Ninja’s hubby put on a small, but very beneficial, Fix-It Bike Clinic. It was great, except he charged us 20 bucks each. Just kidding…he did say it was 20 bucks but we all threatened him to get on with it and stop all the money talk.

He set up our bikes while we were inside girl talking taking care of important details.

image

I have to say, having poor Nelly CIRN taken apart and flipped upside down made me a little anxious. I don’t like to see her that way and I certainly don’t want to see her that way on Saturday.

image

Our knowledgeable (and patient) Professor taught us to take the wheel off, take the tire off the rim, take the tube out, to put it back in the tire, put the tire back on the wheel, and the wheel back on the bike! Sounds simple…right? I know, I know. Some of you can do this with no problem. You can probably change a tire on your car too…But for us this was new and it was necessary! Breaking Pace got it down quick. She did hers three times to J-Ninja’s and my once. Show off… No. we aren’t competitive AT ALL. Why do you ask?

We got our bikes to functional condition and thought our lesson was over. Not quite.

image

Once more we were instructed to change a flat…in the yard. We had to leave the comfort of our cute towels and head to the yard where we would simulate a flat during a race. Of course Breaking Pace was done first…I struggled with getting the tire back on my wheel. I sure hope I don’t need to use this knowledge but I feel much better knowing how to do it.

I got home around 9 PM last night and found this waiting:

image

Any guesses of who it is from? Here’s a hint: “No fungus!” I cracked up when I read this!

Mel sent me this awesome little care package and it was so out of the blue and brought a huge smile to my face!

It had all sorts of good stuff in there. New hair ties, which I ALWAYS need, Gu, Chomps, a Luna Bar, a cute little note book for me to keep my thoughts in about the race, and a super nice note! And on top of that, the way this thing was decorated…yeah I’m sure my mailman thinks I am HARD CORE now.

image

I have lots to do to get ready between work and packing and picking up My Official Race Crew from the airport! I can’t believe it is almost time…mini freak out…

Breath…1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10….wooooosawwww…….

13 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see how you do this weekend!!!!

    PS. I'm downgrading to the RnR half. No time for 2-3 long runs before the race with work, etc. Maybe we'll run together for part of the race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK!! You are going to do AWESOME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, now that you're a pro, come teach me! I'll teach you how to change a car tire if you want - or even how to change your brakes!

    Hopefully you don't have to fix anything this weekend, but at least now you have done it, so there would be less panic. Awesome idea J-Ninja Hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to do great! I've never turned my bike upside down to change a flat, although most people do. So...you don't have to if you don't want to :D No set rules on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've been taught how to change a flat about 5 different times...yet I never remember. Therefore, a flat tire means a call to my mom. Haha...and I just pray it doesn't happen during a race.

    You're going to rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy he taught us how to fix a flat! Sad to admit that I probably won't remember though...lol! I'm just praying that I don't have to use any of those "skills" we learned last night :) Thanks for comin over! See you tomorrow.. I'm so nervous, I could throw up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Good GOOD luck! I'm excited to hear the results! You are going to be WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for being able to change a flat!! That is key! BUT, you won't need to do it in your race! :)

    That is an awesome package! Woohoo for surprises in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea on the Fix It workshop!

    Good luck to you. I have enjoyed reading your training posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super impressive!!! I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEAH go for it girl!

    Super sweet goodie bag from Mel. Aw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. poor nelly looks like shes at the bike gynecologist! haha! glad you learned how to fix a flat....its a very intimidating thing to learn, but once you do it once you can at least muddle your way through it on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're now educated! And Mel is so sweet, you deserve lots of goodies! You are gonna be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails