Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Will this become a habit?

Who knows? I kinda liked it! So maybe!

Let me back up here. Monday was a rest day, not really by choice but by circumstance. You know how it goes. It wasn’t ideal but this close (91 hours to be exact) to race day rest is ok, I wont be losing fitness from a day off.  Today was not shaping up to be much better scheduling wise so I had to do what most of you have been doing all along! Gasp! Oh the horror! Woe is me!! I know I know, I hear the world’s tiniest violin playing right now. What ev. I got up early to go run. As in early in the morning! Yes, so pigs flew this AM and I ran early.

It was so nice outside, probably 65 degrees with a bit of humidity. The sun was rising and it was a beautiful pinky orangey color. I headed out without my iPod, mainly because I was tired and didn’t feel like putting up with chipper rock and pop stars at 6:20 in the morning. Too. Much. For. Me. Without that blaring in my ears I could hear the early birds singing away, probably making fun of me saying, “Who’s this chick? This is a first.” And they were probably casting bets on whether or not they would see my again tomorrow morning-or ever again in the AM.

I also decided to not put my contacts in. I was running blind. Actually I ‘m not that blind but things were certainly blurry. I was too tired to put them in before hand.  It worked out and I didn’t run into any trees, poles, holes, or parked cars.

Running early has it’s challenges:

  • Hubby who generally has to leave for work by 6:30-that is just too stinking early for me to get up, run and get home so he can go.
  • Um, breakfast and coffee. Hellooooo! I ran today with no breaky and I was STARVING. And to eat and drink coffee, well that just means I have to get up THAT much earlier.
  • So, like- hair washing. Yeah. So I washed my hair after this AM’s run because I had a job interview. Then I opted out of the noon swim because I am having a fabulous hair day. I know. Petty….but really, it is an issue.  Guys are so lucky.
  • Twice the laundry since I will run in the AM and then bike, spin or do weights later. Usually I just go BAM-BAM-BAM and do it all in a row in the same super sick clothes.

So what’s up!? What tips do you have for me when it comes to early morning running? How do YOU do it?

22 comments:

  1. I eat later the night before, and take gum with me...my mouth always tastes funny (either gross because I didn't brush or too minty from brushing)...blech.

    But, yeah. Running before eating just makes me feel like a sad, hollow shell of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you nice words! And I am so not a morning person, or morning runner. I fear I will never run as fast in the morning as I do at night! But it does always sound nice when people get up early and are all done with their running by 8, instead of "looking forward" to it all day! Good luck if you keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOHOO look at you morning-bird!

    I like to have some time to wake up before a morning run or I just feel ughgughgugh so yes, I sacrifice that extra half hour or 45 minutes of sleep so I can wake up, have a tea and a bite to eat.

    Although I'll bet that breakfast + coffee tasted gooood after your run! :)

    Other than that, I try to ave EVERYTHING ready to the night before so I am not looking through drawers at that hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the club! Well, I actually prefer the mid morning or afternoon run, but sweating in the morning really jump starts the day! Next time I'd try to eat at least a small snack before the run, I feel nauseus and tired if I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I try to eat a banana or half a granola bar literally on the way out the door.
    Also, yay for the job interview. Lots of luck to you!! I have one on Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have the same struggles. hubs never leaves at the same time in the morning and i usually dont know when he will leave...until he freakin leaves, which makes it super difficult to plan. i usually eat a graham cracker with PB before a early run, because i have to eat something...but not too much. and getting up early is hard for me in general, i have been known to sleep in my running clothes to help eliminate some of the getting ready time. i have also skipped workouts because of my hair :O

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh, now I get your tweet about shaving your head!!

    If I have a longer run, I usualy take a few bites of banana but for speed workouts, nada.

    How did your interview go???????????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Early morning might be difficult at first, but then it becomes a great habit. Quiet time and done with your workout before most people are up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suck at morning running, because my stomach freaks OUT. Ug.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like getting it out of the way, but have a hard time getting up unless I have a date with my running buddy. Sleep is just so good.
    Like you, I have to be home by 6:45-7am so Dave can head to work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer to do my runs first thing in the morning. The only problem I have is I have to get up early enough to get some breakfast in me before I hit the pavement and then I simply clean up, grab a protein drink and am ready to start my day.
    Definitly love having my afternoons to do whatever I please instead of trying to cram my workout in last minute, when I'm tired. :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard for me to wake up early for runs but once I do it I love it more than running in the afternoon.
    But on the occasion I do get up early I usually will just have a banana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love running in the morning. I prefer to run on an empty stomach. On a short run I will drink a little water with nuuns. If it is a long run I like to take a gel and half of a banana. Good Luck on the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it takes some time to get your body used to it. I've done it for long enough now that I don't need to eat before and I am just ready to eat when I get back.

    Not sure what to tell you about the hair thing...because I feel the same way. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i don't run early cept maybe on the weekends. i am not good at it but i have to say being down with it is such an awesome feeling. good luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go!! I enjoy running in the morning when I can actually force myself out of bed!!! One of my tricks is to literally have everything ready to go so I don't have to search for anything. I also don't usually put my contacts in or brush my teeth. Ha, I'm pretty lazy in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love love running early in the morning. I have a cup of coffee, read a few blogs, eat a banana, and head out the door. Once you start doing it for a few weeks it becomes second nature.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use to wake up at 4 AM to run. I have to be back by 6 to help my daughter get ready for school.

    It's tough at first but eventually becomes a habit. I always lay out all my gear the night before (including hair ties) and put a water bottle in fridge. When the alarm goes off the next morning, I just gotta throw on my clothes which are already out and put my hair in a pony tail. I sometimes brush my teeth before I leave. And sometimes have a quick snack. PB toast. Takes me no longer than 15 minutes then I head out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LMAO... I have skipped runs, too, because I was having a good hair day. What can I say? Sometimes I just like to let my husband see me looking decent instead of all sweaty in workout clothes. I do take a shower at night, but even then he has to look at me with nappy hair because I don't flat-iron it until the morning.

    I wish I could run in the morning, but I have to be at work at 6:30, so it's just not possible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honestly, the only time I run early is on Saturdays with my running partner. All other times I either head outside or hit the treadmill after work. I have to leave at 7 for work, so doing my workout early is just not an option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love running in the mornings! It's that much easier to get up and go if I already have everything out ready to go. It's a habit now, and the day goes that much better! I usually grab a banana on the way out, or an almond bar. After a few weeks I began to wonder how I ever ran at night. Sleep is GREAT; however, running in LESS humidity and cooler temps is even GREATER!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do early morning runs a lot in the summer, but I go around 6:30/7 after the baby is up/fed/had some playtime. I put my workout clothes on as soon as I get up and that's the key for me. I really like getting my run done so early, plus the baby loves watching all the birds and nature shit. :)

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails