Saturday, May 7, 2011

70.3 The Scope Out

In January we, the Triple Threat girls as we have named ourselves, decided to do a Half Iron Man. There were two weekends to chose from to do the race, May 7 and May 14. I argued that May 14 would give us one extra week to prepare. Today I am still glad that we chose the 14th. The other two making up our Triple were wishing today was our day.

We got up too early to drive to today’s 70.3 so that we could watch it go down. We got there and found a little bit of confusion and chaos. We finally asked if the swim was even started yet (we were there about 40 min after the swim was to have started). The lady told us it was cancelled due to fog. One look at the beautiful lake and it was no wonder.

You couldn’t see anything, not even the bright orange buoys. I have to say I would have been super disappointed and Breaking Pace and J-Ninja joke but I know they would have been to if this were our race day.

image

So we headed over to the swim/bike transition to see how things go down from there. We got to check out some pretty sweet bikes, and some pretty not-so-sweet (things on bikes) bikes.

image

Really? Who does this? I would pass this guy just to spite AND so I would have to look at that any longer than necessary.

image

It was nice to scope out the transition set ups and the gear! We took mental notes on all the gear we saw….to include the Alien Helmets. I am certain I am missing out on an amazing helmet experience. J-Ninja tried one on for size:

image

The water was great! Nice and warm(ish)!

image

The fog lifted and the lake is beautiful! Just achin’ to be swam in!

image

And the finish line is beautiful, but wasn’t as beautiful today as I am sure it will be next Saturday!

image

Here is a fun little video of the beginning of the bike. I have no idea how they organized the start since the swim was cancelled, maybe by swim wave?

Bike to Run with a cancelled swim… “I own you, Wife!”

This has just gotten me excited for next weekend! Don’t get me wrong, I am still nervous BUT I am excited!!

Yep, totally EXCITED!!

Bring it!

12 comments:

  1. That is crazy that the swim was canceled due to fog!! You are going to do great next weekend! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea scoping out the course. It will help with the nerves to visualize what you will be doing. Good luck on your 70.3 next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you went. Excited nervous is far better than scared nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the second time I've seen someone mention that the swim part of their race (or a race, in this case) was canceled due to weather. I know obviously it's an outside sporting event so everything depends on the weather, but how does this affect race results? And doesn't it just end up being a duathlon? Do they refund money? So much stress!! I hope your race next weekend goes smoothly for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was wondering if they refund monies. More than likely not, right?

    Does that guy have a 5 gallon BUCKET next to his bike? I'll tell you what my mind went to what that could be used for..and it isn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I won't do that. I will die." HAHAHAHA

    I've been thinking about that lately myself while I attempt getting more comfortable on my bike. But I can barely bend over to adjust my cages let alone put on shoes! I'm with ya gals!

    I hope they don't cancel the swim next weekend! Since it's my only advantage in the triathlon, I would probably throw a hissy fit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang I look hot in that helmet!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, feeling a little race envy here...but there is no way i am at the 70.3 level. You're going to do AWESOME next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to scope it out and get all pumped up for your event!!!

    And that guy with the "accessory" on his bike is clearly trying to compensate for something. LOS-AH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOu crack me up.. Having shoes attached to pedals is a recipe for disaster for me also.. OK text me I blew up the photo and still have no idea what you were talking about with the bikes..

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails