Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Winter stinks......

....but with a fireplace, preferably with a warm, cozy fire glowing, a cup of coffee, some deliciously frumpy fat pants, a hoodie, and a good book, the dark and cold winter months aren't so arduous.

I thought I would share some of my favorite running-themed books in case you were looking for a good read to snuggle up with.

The first book on my pile is Run Like a Girl: How Strong Women Make Happy Lives , by Mina Samuels.

IMG_3220.JPG

Talk about a pick-me-up, feel-good book! This book covers topics that certainly could have been taken right out my mouth, and from any the conversations heard during any and all of my runs with a close running buddy. I love this book because it takes the stories of real women and their experience of coming to terms with themselves, as women of all shapes and sizes and talents, and discovering that "fit is the new thin". It speaks to being proud of our accomplishments and seeing them for what they are...Its' chapters capture the female audience's attention with titles such as, Rising to the (Almost) Daily Challenge, Fit is the New Thin, and Chicking the Boys. If you are looking for an easy, entertaining read that will have you lacing up your tennies and longing for a sweat (even if it's dark, cold and wet outside) this this is the book for you! And "our mission..."according to one of the athletes in Mina's book, "..should we chose to accept it, is to do our best, and let our accomplishments speak for themselves..." So there you have, go run like a girl and be proud!

Second on my reading list is Long May You Run. All. Things. Running. by Chris Cooper.

One word: Awesome. 

IMG_3225.JPG

And for cool points he wrote me a little note on the inside.

IMG_3229.JPG

This book is pretty much like a perfectly thought-out random conglomeration of running! It's like a go-to running guide for noobs and oldies alike, with topics like Run Under a Full Moon. What? What a random, glorious idea! As a matter of fact, when is the next full moon? And to stoke your running fire a bit more he talks about the Mystic Runners Full Moon 5k in Wakefield, Mass. Anyone live near there? He has awesome quotes sprinkled throughout to get you where you need to be, mentally and physically, such as "Refueling within thirty minutes after a run is key." (Hazel Clark, 5 time US 800 m champion and member of the 2008 Olympic team). And another great quote by Pete Pfitzinger "If you feel great during a run, go farther than you planned. If something hurts do not force yourself to keep running." Excellent advice that I know we all could hear....This is just a fun, interesting book that brings the excitement and newness back to running, if you find yourself in a rut (like me...). This is a great bedside or coffee table book that can be read all at once or in bits and pieces. You'll be sure to walk away from it with a smile and a new item for your Bucket List.

The third book on my list is Lynda Drews' Run at Destruction, a True Fatal Love Triangle.


IMG_3222.JPG

I received this book from Lynda quite a long time ago. I started reading it and kind of walked away from it for a while. Not to say it wasn't good but mostly I got busy and had a lot of other things to do (like study for my licensure exam) and reading for pleasure went by the way side. It is a true story set in the early 80's when women were just emerging in the running, recreation and competitive scene. This story kind of hit home since it was about runners, women, like you and me (and men for my male readers), who met for long runs and training runs, they went to races and socialized togehter. But this story has a  sad, deadly twist that truly disturbed me. So if you like suspense and mystery books then this one is a real treat because it is not only a mystery but it is about running and the characters could be anyone among your or my running crowd, seemingly normal, happy runners....So look around you....this book makes you wonder. Some people don't like murder mysteries. I know it was a little much for me to read while The Hubs was in Afghanistan and I was home alone, meeting my running buddies many times a week. But otherwise, I would say it was an enjoyable read and it made me truly appreciate my running buddies.

The last book I will review for you is Runner's World, The Runner's Diet: The Ultimate Eating Plan That Will Make Every Runner (and Walker) Leaner, Faster, & Fitter by Madelyn H. Fernstrom, PhD, CNS

IMG_3221.JPG

Pretty much, I haven't been able to implement a lot of thngs in this book, yet. But it does provide valuable information and pointers on analyzing your eating habits and activity patterns so as to really honestly look at what we are putting into our bodies. The book discusses the Best-Choice Carbohydrates and serving sizes. In it's pages I found pointers such as: Calories count, even when you'll be exercising and using some. Duh...but really, guilty! It also states: Carbohydrates give you quick energy, but you will need to avoid sugar/fat combinations or other refined-carbohydrate sources -BINGO!!! This step alone resulted in a 13 pound weight loss for me since July. It works people! So if your looking to to tweak your diet and avoid the Marathon Training Weight Loss Plateau, or worse the Marathon Training Weight Gain (GASP!!! It happens!!) or are wanting to figure out how to shed the last, hardest 5 pounds, this book may just have a few tips and sound advice that will help you become leaner, faster, and fitter.

There you have it....my most recent reading list. What do you think? Have you read any of these? Any of them peak your interest? What have you read that I should put on my list? And seriously, do you curl up by the fireplace in the winter?


7 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge reader, but you have convinced me to read the first and last books you reviewed. Thanks!

    BTW, I'm totally in my frumpy sweat pants right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!! I love frumpy sweat pants!!!

    PS The RUnner's Diet book you can get for UBER cheap on Amazon, like 5 bucks or less!!! And you wont be sorry about either book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweatpants and a hoodie are a staple in my house!! I wish I had a fireplace or woodstove in my livingroom. Under a quilt on the couch reading is perfect. I'll check out these books!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book review!! I will definitely have to get one to read through the winter!! I agree nothing better than fat pants and a book!!! A good combo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hoodies and sweatpants. There is nothing better.
    You should add The Long Run to you list. So inspiring. I also read a bit from Sole Sisters when I need some motivation to get out the door. Warning: it will make you miss your running buddies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great book ideas. I just might check one of them out on my kindle :)

    And yes to the "sitting by the fire" mode. I'm not ready for winter AT ALL. I watched my husband head out early for a run this morning in the pitch black coldness, donned with headlamp and other reflective gear. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just ran across your blog and I am actually having a give away for the Run like a girl book!! I really enjoyed reading this book and it made me realize how much more confident I feel when I am running and working out!! I am looking for more books so I may have to check these others out!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails