Sunday, January 1, 2012

TWENTY TWELVE- The Year of Dragon

Dragons have wings and breath fire. That's so cool…

2011 was the year of the Rabbit. Enough said.

I'm not too great with resolutions and frankly I like to look at them more as goals. For the most part I try to be healthy and fit year-round and resolutions imply a big or significant change. So with each New Year I like to set goals and try my best to accomplish them. Sometimes I fall short but I try to set realistic goals that are achievable, to set myself up for success. So here we go, Twenty Twelve Goals:

FITNESS

1) Do more of it.

Ok, no really. Since starting my full-time job in July I have really struggled with my fitness and maintaining a consistent workout routine. It has to get ironed out and quick because of goal #2…

2) Big Sur Marathon on April 29th.

26.2 miles of up, up, up and more UP. Today is the beginning of marathon training. In 18 weeks I'll be in Monterey, one of my favorite places in the US, to run one of the most scenic marathons in the states, with some great friends. I can't wait.

3) Tobacco Road 13.1

I did this one last year and it was a good race. It also happens to fall nicely in the full training plan on a 14 miler weekend. It will be a good test of endurance for the marathon training.

4) My summer tris...

All of the ones I did last season and then some…And then…my biggest goal of 2012…

5) Augusta Georgia Half Iron on Sept 30.

This year we have thought it out and this 70.3 is a bit more strategically placed in the year than last year. After a summer of triathlons and swim training I believe I will be better prepared to cover the 70.3. I am pumped!

6) Local Races

I want to do any and all local race that seem fun or fits my schedule.

7) BQ

I know, I know…so cliche'. But fact is this: I have no idea what I would even have to do to BQ as far as paces and qualifying time. All I do know is once upon a time I did know then they went and changed things up, I got disgusted and discouraged. Now I think I could do it but with proper, FOCUSED training. I'm thinking that upon wrapping up my Augusta 70.3 I can focus on training and paces that will lead to a BQ. So my goal is actually to set myself up to begin a BQ training cycle in 2012 and choose a marathon (probably spring of 2013) that will assist me in that goal (read flat and fast course).

NUTRITION

1) Eat Healthy

I hope to continue on my journey of whole-food eating with minimal sugar intake. My goal is to eat less processed foods and more foods that ARE ingredients and not HAVE ingredients.

2) Reach and Maintain

Once I hit my goal weight my goal is to maintain it. Unfortunately I was just over my goal weight in October and then I slipped away, up a few pounds. So I have to really focus on Nutrition Goal #1……seriously.

PROFESSIONAL

I have accomplished a LOT in 2011 professionally but I have so much more to learn and do!

1) Work closer to home.

I need to find a way to eliminate my daily commute to and from work. Driving an hour one way really has been a hardship. It's time I evaluate my situation and make my fitness, workouts and family a priority again.

2) Never stop learning.

I like my job. I want to LOVE my job. I know that it will take time to get to where I want to be professionally but I can keep working towards it by choosing relevant continuing education courses and keeping my eye on my goal: to own my own practice where I am my own boss. The American Dream.


3) Create my Therapeutic Running Group for Women

This has been a dream of mine for a while now. This year I am making it a priority to create the program. I envision a program for women that focuses on them and their needs to increase self-awareness and self-esteem, a lot like Girls on the Run only for women who may be going through divorce, struggling with abuse, or depression, or body image issues....you name it.  Running has been so essential to my mental health over the last three years and I know I am not the only one. So it's time I make my dream a reality!


There you have it. My TWENTY TWELVE goals! Of course these goals can and probably will evolve over the course of the next year but at least I have them out there. HAve you come up with your goals yet?


15 comments:

  1. i LOVE the way you framed that first nutrition goal - foods that ARE ingredients. I never thought of it that way! I'm stealing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I prepare to start a new job on Jan. 3, I've thought about your struggle with fitting it all in w/ your new job (I know it's not so new anymore). Sending you (and me) good vibes at balancing and fitting in the training that ultimately makes us feel so much better at the end of any given day.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these goals. I know that you are going to be amazing this year. Your strategically placed 70.3 will serve you well.

    And yes, I would love to come race with you. I know I am only 1.5 hrs from NC, so depending on the race it can't be that far! Let me know what you add to your schedule and I will see what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing goals! What a great idea with the running group, you will be a great group leader!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A, you will be awesome this year. I too am planning on great things. I love love love your professional goal. Running/activity has been my own cheap therapy this past year. I'd love to hear more about it!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great goals, all of them. I do love your last goal the most. I think that would be amazing for you and everyone involved. Running is incredibly empowering...which is why my goal is to get back to it despite injury.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for answering my silly question! haha. I'm also 5' 9 3/4", and usually say 5'10" as well. I was just asking because I'm at 165 lbs right now (from 196 a couple years ago) and always thought getting under 155 was a dream (and people tell me I'm too skinny). I'm encouraged by your journey! :)

    Great goals by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goals and it reminds me I still need to work on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like some great goals! I love them! I can't wait to read all of the awesome things you do this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This year is all about planning for me, so to help you do the same, here is the site for the BQ times.

    http://www.baa.org/Races/Boston-Marathon/Participant-Information/Qualifying.aspx

    I LOVE that last goal. The idea of fitness and athletics as therapy seems so healthy to me! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the idea of the theraputic running group! what an awesome idea, good luck in all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love your eating healthy goal...perfect way of viewing food as ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this makes so much sense! Stupid rabbits. THAT was why 2011 sucked for my running. You're right, dragons are SO MUCH cooler.

    You are going to have a fantastic year! Better get another medal rack... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your goals list!! Motivated me to go do mine!! This is going to be a big year for me!! Look forward to reading about ACCOMPLISHING all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea (the women's running group!). I would be very interested in hearing how you create it and how it goes! Good luck in 2012!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails