Monday, January 2, 2012

Making the Plans

Half the fun of racing is getting the plan ironed out....when will I run, how far, how fast? I like seeing the numbers go up and up each week, on paper. I like that little flip I get in my stomach when I pencil 18, 20 miles on a Saturday morning. I enjoy looking at the completed plan and closing my eyes and imagining the entire 18 weeks within the blink of an eye.

Yesterday I sat down to get the plan on paper. Something about actually putting the pencil to paper makes it real.

photo-1.JPG


My Big Sur Marathon training began today with a three mile run. The rest of the plan covers speed work to prepare for a 5k on Feb.25 and a half marathon on Mar.18. It includes tempo runs, fartleks, pace runs, and slow/easy long runs. I think I know I am ready. I know, and expect, there will be challenges but what is a training cycle without challenges? That is part of the fun, or at least what we consider to be fun.

So have you made any plans yet? Do you do them on the computer? With a fancy excel spreadsheet? Am I the only crazy one who loves pencil and paper? Do you need help with your training plans? Let me know! I'm excited to put my new knowledge as an RRCA Running Coach to the test! 


Happy Twenty Twelve friends!!

17 comments:

  1. I love creating the plans too...I go for pencil and paper at first and then finalize by typing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about some Excel spreadsheets. I just recently formed my training plan for my spring half marathons. That's the first one that I did completely by myself. Although Hal Higdon and Greg McMillan did have a tiny little hand in it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some Hal! I pretty much always "consult" with him for my plans. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you serious? I'd love some help in the training dept....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dead-dog serious Christa! Email me 5miles2empty@gmail.com.
    I may not get to it tonight (East coast time and work in the AM) but I'd love to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making plans, revising plans, and staring at them all day, obsessing over them. :) I have only ever made my own half marathon plans, but I do it in Excel or Google spreadsheets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck training! I love writing out my plan and then crossing it off when i finish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE making a race plan. I create a cute excel sheet and a print out and probably several versions of it! It helps to get me excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use the plans from the pros, but I like to print them out and stick them on my wall right next to my t.v. I loveeee crossing off the workouts as I complete them and having it right next to my t.v. encourages me to get off my butt and exercise!

    p.s. I'm new to your blog and I love it! Very inspiring yet down to earth::)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My training plans are with paper and pencil. The problem is that the eraser gets worn out from always changing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i make my plan's using SmartCoach on runnersworld and then tweak for my lifesytle. I would love the send it to you if you would be intersted in reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting!!! I'm a mix between pen/paper and excel. I love having all of the numbers in front of me and crossing days off. Such a sense of fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might be sending you an email for some plan help too!!! I'm kinda of going off of Hal Higdon's but I think I want a little speed work in there to keep it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big Sur is on my racing "bucket list" good luck with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed that you use pencil and paper. I can't remember the last time I used a pencil! I use a spreadsheet because I like to have the flexibility of tweaking it when things come up on my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So exciting to kick off a new plan! That's what I'm supposed to be doing this week, but I'm laid up sick instead. Boo! Run one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love starting my training plan on paper then move to excel. There's something so promising when you start a plan too!. Love it, and miss it. I'm hoping that my foot will let me at least let me start a recovery training plan soon. Focusing on early Fall races looks more realistic for me. Happy plannng!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails