Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston....

Heart officially broken...

I can't seem to wrap my mind around what happened today.

I don't want to wrap my mind around it because that would make it real....you know me and my head-in-the-sand approach to life's events....that works sometimes. But not this time.



It is so sad and scary to think that this is the world that our children are growing up in. One where it is a very real possibility that a bomb could go off at a marathon, a football game, a concert....heck anywhere!  When I was growing up I worried about tornadoes. And quicksand. 

I never worried that there might be a bomb.
Just like when Sherry was murdered while out for her regular run, we came together as a running community and made it clear that we would not be broken. Our hearts, yes...broken. But our spirits, notsomuch. This Sunday I'll show up for the Boston Memorial 5k here in Fayetteville.  If you want details on the run email me and I'll give you the info. 

Hug your runner tonight. And if your a runner hug your support crew, those who are there....every.single.race....to clap you across the finish! Hug your kids, whom you do this for every day.  Show them it's ok and to not give up, to keep going.  Look at your running friends...many of whom were there today, expecting to have the race of their life, the marathon they have worked so hard for...tell them they are freaking awesome. Lastly, look at yourself. Find your inner strong, grieve for the runners, families, spectators affected today. Grieve for the marathon...grieve for the days when we didn't have to worry about some idiot(s)....(fill in the blank here....)

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was there. I would join you on Saturday. My heart goes out to everyone. The running community's spirit won't be broken by this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I am still stunned and so saddened. We have tried to talk with our kids tonight about what a wonderful experience Boston was for all of us. We are runners. We are a relentless group who will always stick together and never quit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, from one runner to another (hugs) and positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know what to say and feel no matter what I say it is not the right thing. I'm still in shock but at the same so incredible proud of the runner community! If I wouldn't be a runner already, I would be one by now. Hearing all the amazing things runners did still gives me goose bumps!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails