Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy National Running Day...

How will you celebrate?

I'd love to celebrate with a run. Go figure. But alas, I am still not running. I mean I ran a quarter of a mile last week, so I guess that counts. I had walked LB to the bus stop and the second he got on the bus it started pouring...so I ran home. The knee felt ok, not good, not great, not bad. Just ok. But I felt amazing-I felt happy to be running (even though I was in my flip-flops with my hair down), and in the warm rain....I felt like a kid again. When I got home I was soaked. I sat on my porch and sipped my coffee and just watched the rain and listened to the thunder. I'm learning to be present in the moment, to appreciate the little things...I thought about my running and where I've been and where I'm going with it, what it has given me and I what I hope it continues to give to me-forever.

I have wanted to run a number of times since but for now I am sticking to the elliptical and weights. I have my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon next Tuesday and I am hoping to have some answers after that. I don't want any swelling or pain when I go in so that if something needs to be done it can be done ASAP. This sitting around and doing nothing is for the birds. I am hopeful, the ever-optimist though and signed up for OBX 26.2! This is in November so I have time, not "plenty of time" but time. I was registered last year and didn't toe the line. This year though, I will be there....so I have no choice but to heal, recover, and get back to the road!

So what have I been doing since being sidelined? Besides working and creating a hint of normalcy in my life? Well I've been eating a LOT of green smoothies. That's new. My aunt sent me a Magic Bullet for my birthday and I have been putting it to use....

I ordered the Big Book of Juices and have been reading it. I highly recommend it! It has many easy recipes. I had almost all the ingredients on hand, if not they are easily acessable. It gives ideas for helping with certain ailments such as acne, heart burn, trouble sleeping. It provides recipes for cleansing and detoxing too. The other book, Raw & Beyond, is amazing too. I am striving to be close to 85% raw. I'm pretty sure I could never be 100% raw and the book explains why that isn't exactly healthy anyway. But I am working on integrating more fresh fruits and veggies into me and LB's diet. More foods that ARE ingredients, less foods that HAVE ingredients. That is my goal.

screen-capture-2.png

It's been fun to throw all sorts of GREEN veggies into my Magic Bullet and see how it comes out. Favorites to add along with ice and about 1/4 cup of water (or more for a less thick consistency) are: kale, chard, spinach, tips of asparagus, parsley, cilantro, and basil. I ALWAYS add fresh ginger root which helps with inflammation, and cinnamon, which helps keep the blood sugar from spiking. I found adding a celery stick is just not very good, I've never been a fan of celery....but half a slice of cucumber (about 1/2 an inch slice, then cut in half) adds a nice POP of taste too. I add a table spoon of Chia seeds and sometimes a tablespoon of flaxseed for the Omega-3's. I usually add half a lemon, although today I used a lime. For a smoother consistency I add 1/4 to 1/2 an avocado...really you can add anything you want. I stay away from sugar though.

At first I thought LB wasn't going to get on the GREEN Smoothie bandwagon...but he tricked me and ended up liking it. Although sometimes I have to add a packet of Splenda and a hint more cinnamon to help him get it down....but I think overall it's awesome!


screen-capture-3.png


So what do you think? Tried any delicious green smoothies lately? I'd love to hear what you add to yours!

Oh and Mel and I didn't win the Totally Trials giveaway by Oiselle...oh well...

7 comments:

  1. I am praying you have a great appointment and can get that OBX under your belt. I want to do that one too, but with it being so close to MCM this year I thought I better wait. As for smoothies, we love kale in ours too. Super yummy. Also we will add fruit for a hint of extra taste. So an apple. pineapple, or kiwi is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hope your appt goes well!
    I'm breaking a rule and running today because all my doc and pt said was, "Don't do anything that hurts." Ok, fine.. PT hurts worse than exercise most days!

    I've been trying to do the green smoothie thing though I admit mine are not quite as green or veggie filled as yours. I'm working on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I want to try some of those smoothies! Thanks for the book recommendations. I will have to check them out. Good luck at your appointment! I am running the OBX Half this year. I'm nervously excited since it is only 3 weeks after my half in Durham.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of green smoothies...I use spinach, apple, banana, orange, flax seed meal, water, and sometimes frozen fruit...these are so good for you and taste great too! Hope your knee is going to be okay darlin'...I am suffering from a pelvic stress fracture (2 wks ago) and cannot run let alone walk without crutches...eek! I hate this sitting around, it is driving me insane...next week I will get to start swimming and recumbent bikes at the YMCA, yea! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love my smoothies, but beware of arugula gives it a bad taste :s haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get some good news soon!! I did run on National Running Day. I've been making smoothies too, but fruit and spinich ones, haven't tried any other veggies yet....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your appointment!
    I am in the same boat as you. Not running.....and it is driving me crazy. I have only made two green smoothies but they were both awesome. I just use greek yogurt, little bit of milk and whatever fruits I feel like, with about 2 handfuls of spinach. So delicious. I was using them post-run.

    I am currently hooked on sunflower seed butter. I am sure you can throw a Tbsp. of that in there for some good fat and spectacular flavor!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails