Monday, April 11, 2011

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good…

Very Bad Day Run.

Let me back peddle a bit.

I have been taking a break from my computer, kind of. Sometimes technology just boggs me down and I need to step away. I haven’t updated my facebook status since I can’t remember when??? Maybe Friday? I wont go back and recap the whole weekend, I’ll just jump in at today.

I have a head cold. What the heck? Why can’t I just get healthy and STAY healthy? And I include injury in there too…But anyway, I have this head cold but my body feels ok. I did my normal Monday morning paperwork and finished just in time to roll out and head to 12 o’clock spin.

I pulled into the empty gym parking lot and discovered the gym is closed until the 13th. Lame. I decided to do a quick run instead. So at noon o’clock I drove to the track and meandered out of my car, jogged a lap, then stretched. I decided I would do 4 x 1200 yd intervals. Off I went on my first lap. When I neared the 400 yd (end of the first lap) I hit end on my lap button and convinced myself I would do a ladder, 400/800/1200/1200/800/400…yeah that is what I’ll do. So I walked 200 yds and hit start for my second interval.At the 400 yd mark I again hit end on my watch. Lame. Ok, so no go on the ladder plan. I decided I would do 5 x 400 yds instead. I walked another 200 yd and hit start on my watch. By the end of the third lap I was tired, sweating buckets, thirsty, and just  plain fatigued. I had no gas. I was spent. Pooped. Wiped out. Done.  I jogged another lap to cool down but it was about 87 degrees outside and humid. Yucky, gross humidity. It will be the death of me this summer. So there you have it. That was the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad run day.

I know my running routine is going to need a serious overhauling here soon. I will have to start getting up to run way before the sun shines. I hate that. Or resolve to be a summer treadmill runner. I actually just almost threw up in my mouth thinking about both of those. Either way, the point is that things are going to have to change and soon when it comes to my running. The first step in making a change is seeing  a need for change. Right? 

After my failed run I decided to hit one of the other gyms to do some weights. I’d like to do more weightlifting but I just don’t have time right now. So I got in about 45 min of picking up heavy things and putting them back down. I was going to go swim afterwards but decided against it. There is always tomorrow…if all goes as planned.

Sorry for the boring post but I am kind of happy to have a lull in the excitement. No new bruises to report, only shrinking ones!

12 comments:

  1. Yep, we're right the opposite of everyone else. Everyone else in the world runs on the treadmill all winter to avoid breaking their neck on the ice. We southerners run outside all winter and turn to the treadmill in the summer to avoid dying of a heat stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is hard to get out of bed early in the morning, but I love it when hardly no one is up yet. So when I'm running I listen to the bird sing and lose myself in my thoughts. ME AND THE UNIVERSE. I sure hope you start to feel better. I had it about 3wks ago it sucked. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are healing form the fall! UGH to the humidity. It seems to early for that. I am so not ready for summer. One thing to love about winter is comfortable mid-day runs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, i totally feel you! Last week my body was totally OUT. I had a nasty cold and everything was going against me. It does get better! And if nothing else, I got good at blowing my nose while running. That is, after I took a day off. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh....I've got to start training my body to get out of bed before dawn too....i Sooooooo don't look forward to summer :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are recovering from your bike accident, those were some insane bruises!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I remember running in California. The Sacramento Valley. We didn't have the humidity, but it was sick-hot in the summer. Like 90 at 8 a.m. Bleck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the rotten run/day. It happens to the best though. Just know that tomorrow will go better :) I hope the head cold feels better soon!

    Also, I hear you about the hot weather, I'm not a morning person, nor am I a heat person, so running in the summer is going to be a challenge :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be following your adventures of NC summer running very closely. I can't believe it was 75 there today. (Husband checks the weather report every day and tells me. *rolls eyes*)

    What about night running? Would that be easier as opposed to rolling out of bed early in the AM?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As much as I HATE winter, I am not looking forward to the upcoming humidity.
    Hope you healing keeps coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feel better soon!! We all have off times. That's what makes the good times so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's 87 degrees and humid. I would be more surprised if you felt just as good as any other day.

    My best example is a warm pool. I'm a super competitive swimmer and I'll bust out some quick laps in an well kept pool, but once you hit upper 70's or heaven forbit 80's, I might be able to do a 100, but that's about it. Heat steals your muscle energy.

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails