Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eat my dust….

…yeah! That is what I said to The Hubs as he ran out of sight ahead of me and I turned about three blocks early so I could be in front of him on the way back home during our race run together tonight. Ok, so he said he could out run me, that I couldn’t keep up with him. He was right. Oh it pains me to say so. Anyway, we set out for three miles and I hung close for the first .8 of a mile. Then he pulled away.

Grrr….I was running really fast. At least for me. But not fast enough. Speed vs. Endurance: Which would you prefer? I know it is possible to have both but those people that do, the ones who run a marathon in 3 hours or less, they don’t seem like mere muggles to me (Harry Potter term if you aren’t privy to the term Muggle). Anyway, I have been completely slacking in the speed department and wasn’t sure what I could pull off during tonight's challenge-to keep up with The Hubs for 3 miles. I thought I was going to throw up in the first mile.

I’m not gonna lie, I cut the cul-de-sacs short to cut his lead and it still wasn’t enough…he pulled ahead and finally with .8 left I decided that at the top of the hill I was going to head home to give me exactly  3 miles. Plus I wanted to use the downhill to my advantage time and pace wise. I arrived at the summit and turned to run down, as The Hubs ran on toward the end of the street in the opposite direction. I was going to beat him home but that wasn’t the challenge. I was supposed to keep up with him. But I ran a speedy run and didn’t throw up.

3 miler stats:  24:05  8:01 min/mile pace

Mile 1—7:43     Mile 2—8:24     Mile 3---7:57

I think I’ll mark today’s run as Speedwork.

I may not have kept up with The Hubs but I certainly had a good run and that, ladies and gentlemen, is all that matters.

15 comments:

  1. YAY! for good runs... Now, I'm going to THROW UP just from reading your recap. This TRTL.RNR is all about the endurance, baby! No speed here, except when a dog (or swan) chases me! Yes, a swan! :-) Loved reading about your run. Glad Hubs is home with you.

    *hugs* from Orlando!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, that would be speedwork for me.. on my best days i can't go that fast! :) maybe one day.. i guess that's why i like long distances so much, if i'm not fast at least i can go the distance. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping up for .8 miles is impressive. I cannot ever run with my husband he runs in the 5's range and I'm closer to the 10's range. I think you are still the winner since you are smart enough to cut the race :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great run to me!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your run. Those times definitely seem speedy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is speedy in my book!!! good job

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd rather have endurance than speed. 8:01 pace average seems pretty good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking after this marathon BS is over (yeah, I said it) I want to concentrate more on speed! I'll probably never see an 8 min/mile, but I would like to get at least to sub 9!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 8 minute miles....not throwing up...sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is speedy! Coach would kick my butt completely. I would mark it as speed work, he would mark it as a cool down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why is it the hubs is always faster? Dang it! I too hope to beat mine one day:) Good job on your 3miles way faster than I can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy smokes that was fast. Not a bad idea either... my hubby isn't a runner, but when he does run, he really goes. I need to do a rabbit and carrot thing with him for my speedwork... that would rock (and I'm sure he'd enjoy beating me).

    I'll never be super fast, so I go for endurance... besides, endurance runners get more bling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that was fast! You always have an amazing pace! I always find this fact to be true, no matter how great I'm feeling about my fitness level, one workout with the hubs knocks me (wait more like throws me) back to earth. These guys are just not human, we should know this by now. ;)

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails