Sunday, January 6, 2013

Six Days In: 2013....Goals & Resolutions

So here we are, SIX days (almost 7 by the time I post this) in to 2013. I've been pondering my goals and resolutions since the 1st, not a day before. I'm a procrastinator. It has been really difficult for me to come up with them this year and I had no idea why. Until yesterday.  

This is a year of change for me. Everything is new. For one, I am a single mom...I've put on my single mom hat, no longer a "Geographically Single Mom" as I once called myself during deployments, but a true single mom. This morning I felt proud of myself. That's a pretty cool feeling compared to the shame or embarrassment I had felt only a few short months ago. I have a new appreciation for others in my position. It's not easy. But anyway, with everything being new I feel like each and every day, week, month is an adventure and I don't know what is in store for me. I feel free....Goals and Resolutions require commitment and I am not sure where or what I will be doing by the end of 2013....Regardless I have come to recognize that no matter where I am, what I am doing, who I am with or not with, there are a number of things I CAN commit to doing in 2013.

This morning in church there was a quote, I have heard it 1,000 times and even used it professionally with my clients in counseling. It's seems simple, but it takes a lot of practice: If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it.-Maya Angelou

This brings me to my Resolutions and Goals, yes...I am going to make a few of both, since I feel there is a distinct different between the two.

Resolutions:

1. Be aware of my thoughts and how they affect my daily actions and feelings. If I don't like something, I will change it. And if I can't change it, I will change the way I think about it. I am no longer willing to sit and wait. I will take action. This can be applied to my personal life, professional career,  my fitness/running, my health, and my spiritual and emotional wellness.

2. I will not let more than three days go by without breaking a sweat (unless incapacitated or otherwise physically unable).

3. Settle into a fitness routine that involves cardio, strength, endurance, and flexibility training. Maintain this routine consistently.

4. Learn more about healthy eating and living. Implement what I have learned. Daily.

5. Become more connected to friends and family who have been neglected over the past few years as I make this transition in life.

6. Take time once a week for self-reflection and meditation.

Goals:

1. I am going to work at forgiving. It is too difficult to carry anger and resentment. It is my goal to forgive the few people who were once in my life that I have not forgiven-wheather asked or not. I know true forgiveness is difficult, which is why this is a goal. I will do my best to let go and forgive...

2. Eat less processed foods and sugar, shop the outside of the grocery store.

3. Take a vacation in April.....

4. Run (and complete) a marathon.

5. Do triathlons again this summer.

6. Do more yoga.

7. Move to a new house.

8. Identify a PhD program and apply.

9. De-clutter my house and get rid of excess stuff...and do not replace old excess stuff with new excess stuff!

10. Smile. laugh, have fun and enjoy each and every single day with myself and with loved ones....

There they are. My Resolutions and Goals. I do have a few more personal and private Resolutions that I have opted to keep to myself. But the exciting is that I have made them and I will hold myself accountable and now you know them too. 

So lets get this party started! 




7 comments:

  1. You are inspiring, strong and made for amazing things! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great resolutions! Hoping for great things in the year ahead! You are awesome! Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and reading this makes me miss you more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look out world, here she comes - better than before!

    On Dec. 31st, 2013 you'll look back on this year and be proud and AMAZED at what you accomplished.
    ~V

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to think new goals and resolution for new year :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great goals for 2013!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, now I am ashamed of myself. I only made one resolution for 2013... be happy. I haven't even made any training or race goals except that I will probably do the Honolulu Marathon again. I am winging it this year.

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails