Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rest rest rest...and maybe rest

Doctor's orders.

Ah, but if you will look closely I wrote "rest" three times and then a "maybe rest". Monday I headed to the doctor for a check up, or follow up, to make sure I am still healthy, wealthy and wise after my problems in Dec/Jan. The good news: I am healthy. The bad news? I am not wealthy and the wise is debatable. =) But once the doc assured me I was certainly healthy and cleared and there was no need for any more follow ups (hooray!) I said, "While I am here, I have one other concern. *stall* I am training for my first marathon and my hip really hurts." I explained the pain and the history of the pain. I experienced a similar pain two years ago. She had me do some standing and balancing and kicks and had my lie down and she moved my leg here and there, pushed here, felt there...without hesitation she said she was putting me in for x-rays. Needless to say I was shocked. This does not usually happen. I was certain I would hear, "take a few weeks off, start up slow and come back if it still hurts." But I did not hear that!!! This doc took me to her office and I sat there while she went and made copies of a book chapter about the hips. She returned and handed it to me with the instructions to "read it." She told me she has run four marathons! How did i get so lucky? She talked to me about the importance of shoes, having more than one pair and rotating them (something I am not currently doing), about surfaces we run on and that treadmills are better than cement but still not good (uh, I thought they were nice and squishy?). She asked me if I was increasing my mileage too fast and asked if I could consider a later marathon. Not really an option, I am registered. I'll do OKC but maybe I will register for another one that will give me more time to train. In all it worked out great and I am glad I brought it up. She understood me and she understood running. When she said the dreaded word REST my heart stopped for a second then she said "for three or four days..." Thank God! I know she saw the smile flash across my face.

So I got the x-rays and she said she would call me if she saw anything of concern. Cross your fingers that I don't hear back.

After leaving the doctor's office with my high power anti inflammatory I considered meeting Mel for my 16 miler...I could always do my long run and begin my resting tomorrow! Right? I had also made plans to do my long run with Red on Tuesday so I could even begin my resting on Wed! But the truth of the matter is that my hip hurt and I knew in the pit of my stomach I needed this rest. I need to recover so I can continue to train and get stronger, faster, and more stamina and endurance. And my Little Buddy sealed the resting deal by getting sick last night so he stayed home with me today and we rested together. So I will rest tomorrow and maybe, just maybe run on Thursday.

Now here is the problem, where do I pick back up? I don't have the time to push this weeks training to next week. So do I pick up where I left off or or with my 16 miler? Or do I check those missed days off and jump ahead as if I did run this week? What do I do?

Oh yeah, and don't forget my More Cowbell giveaway! It ends tomorrow night at 10 PM PST! go HERE and enter!!!

Today I am grateful for:
All my new awesome followers! You all are amazing and I love to see all of us out there getting healthy and living life! Don't give up!!! Keep running and working hard!
My new yummy smelling perfume, I love smelling good! Who doesn't?
My awesome support system here, my family away from family, you all know who you are and I thank you. You may never know just how special and important you are to me.
No news which is good news about the X-rays! Let's hope there is nothing of concern there!


19 comments:

  1. I have all my fingers crossed that your doctor won't call you! I have read your blog from the beginning and I can honestly say that you are a beautiful inspiration for a newbie! You are a strong woman for being married/single and I hope your hip heals very soon! Sending you positive and healing vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great son you've got - getting sick so you can't run when you should be resting. He's looking after his Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh that's so hard. I'm praying they find nothing that holds you up. In the meantime join me in the pool! If you can't do the big miles, do some in the pool. Where there's a will there's a way. Keeping everything crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers,toes and eyes crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed for you. I am seriously paranoid about getting injured...

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for the health news :-) I hope the xray shows the good results for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well here is a post I can relate with! Hopefully you caught your hip issues in time and will only need some rest. BUT- I have to say, ART is amazing! I have been feeling so much better after only 3 sessions. I highly recommend it for boost in recovery. It is a plus that your dr is a runner, I know I feel better with mine being a runner!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like an awesome doctor! Rest is good. I will think happy thoughts about your X-rays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe you can use your rest time to do some additional stretching and strength training or Yoga. With all that you handle, you could probably use a little yoga to reduce your stress levels! Hope your little guy is feeling better soon. Hang in there! You are in such great shape you won't even know you missed a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crossing my fingers for nothing on the xrays!!
    Spend your resting days shopping for cool running gear and the time will pass more quickly. :)
    What perfume did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's the best scenario possible. Hopefully it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope everything works out with your hip! Hopefully the rest will clear things up. Hip pain can be the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keeping my fingers crossed for no news! What is the reason behind rotating shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My fingers are crossed. Excellent that your doctor is a marathoner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so awesome that you've got a marathoning doctor! I swear, I need to find one of those myself. How awesome!

    Good luck with your hip - here's to quick healing and feeling great on it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THat is sooo cool that your doc is a marathoner! I hope I find someone like that if I ever get hurt while running.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure where you pick back up. I think once you are ready test it out, mayube walk run if you need to in order to get time on your feet. HOPE you are back soon...miss you and I could really use a partner.

    FYI we still need to talk about Mercer... Course with your Hippo (I am going to call it Hippo because it is a HUGE pain!!) I don't want to break you.

    Either way Birthday party lunch after?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope your days of rest helps! Hip pain is no fun--trust me :( Did the doc say what she thought it was at all? IT band, hip flexors, something else? Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails