Thursday, August 25, 2016

I am not "Lucky"...

Quite a few months ago I was approached on the sidewalk while in Nashville. The well-intentioned man told me, "Congratulations!" I was dumbfounded and looked at him with that expression of confusion and surprise....he noticed and quickly explained, "For your body. Congratulations. I just wanted to tell you that." I again just looked at him, confused. And said, "Ok. Thank you?"

I turned to my friends and was still confused. They assured me it was a compliment. I was upset. I didn't win my body at the county fair....I worked hard for it. They explained it was a good compliment, congratulations for working hard and being fit. I accepted their explanation but it still didn't sit well with me. But I soon forgot all about it.

Recently I was talking with a person about fitness, diet and nutrition, and just all around life. She told me, "You're so lucky." I immediately felt my face get hot and heart pound a little harder. Clearly I have some issues with body image here....I need to work on that. But anyway, I could feel myself getting angry and defensive. I am not lucky. I am working against some difficult genes here.  I have to work so hard to just be within normal/healthy BMI. I work out HARD 4-6 times a week. I watch every piece of food that goes into my mouth. I am working against my bodies natural, comfortable tendency to carry so much excess weight in my hips, buttocks, and thighs. I can SMELL cookies and gain weight. Its true, I ready a study that proves it. Go ahead, GOOGLE "Can smelling cookies make me gain weight" and just scroll down the pages of articles......That is me and my life.

I am not lucky.

I am disciplined. I am dedicated. I am cognizant. I am self-aware. I am determined. I am fit.

Luck has nothing to do with it.....its not luck that I get off work and rush home, say hello to my kid, throw on my workout clothes and go straight to the gym. It is not luck that I pay a significant amount of money for my crossfit membership. It is not luck that I can afford it....I budget it it, I make sacrifices. It is not luck that I have time or energy....I make it happen.

I am not lucky....I'm not unlucky either though, don't get me wrong....but my muscles and strength are not due to luck. They are due to me making a decision that I want health. I want fitness. I want to be the best version of myself for as long as I can.

So if you ever find yourself thinking someone is lucky...remind yourself that it may not be luck. Its most likely hard work and dedication.









4 comments:

  1. Loved this. I can so relate with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I also get (and hate), "what's your secret?" I work hard in the gym. That's no secret! I have been told how lucky I am to have lost my baby weight so quickly by numerous people. I don't think working out 5 days a week through the my ENTIRE pregnancy is luck. I made sure I only gained water weight and the weight of my baby and placenta. That was hard work not luck! Oh boy... I could go on and on about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore this post a lot! I am also into fitness and in my opinion a regular workout schedule is powerful enough to keep healthy and fit always. I am a regular gym going person and also pay attention to quality of fitness clothing. Most of the times I buy the best workout clothes from Carbon38.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your effort is speaking how much lucky you are that you are doing such exercise. God bless you.
    love from Fat Freezing

    ReplyDelete

You're pretty much awesome!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails